Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Spokompton & Generations

Welcome back to the conscious streams of thought that I have time now to codify and put down on this continuing experience of my life. I recently had the pleasure of traveling over to Spokane on the weekend of the 15th through the 17th to visit family and friends and check out the school (especially the law school). On previous drives over I have often seen the Wild Horses Monument (just on the east side of the Columbia River) and wanted to get a closer look but never had the time or missed the exit, not so this time! I finally hiked up there and had a little fun too as you can see.

It was great to see my cousins Dave and Chris, they are so awesome and the shenanigans that we had were true to form. The first night I was just chilling with them, we got a bite to eat and went back to his place and enjoyed some 3 buck chuck (a very distinctly flavored wine that has high remarks from thrifty wine connoisseurs).



My law school crony Kate stopped by for some of the evening to enjoy a few sips of the fruit of the vine and it was like good ole’ b-ham times.

Saturday was a very early day which started with a quick rush to the REI scratch n’ dent sale in which I procured some Keen water sandals at an amazing price (YES!!). They also had a Kauffers bookstore close to the REI, which is good to note if I end up over there. A quick jaunt over to the COG (commons of Gonzaga?) for some breakfast and a fabulous omelet just the way I like it, rich in bacon, ham, cheese, onions and olives. Whilst enjoying our delicious food, Dave and I discussed theological questions and the great need for ecumenism and unity within Christendom (I am glad other people care about this stuff too!). Upon returning to his pad I realized I needed to catch up with the Mallahans so I opened my flip phone (like Captain Kirk calling to the Enterprise) and gave them a jingle. I jammed over to their house and got to see the whole family.

The amazing thing about this whole experience for me is that Zack and I never really had a close connection. It isn’t because of something bad (except for timing) but just that he was only around a year and I never really got the opportunity to know him that well (except for the time he had me join him to go see Troy with him on the day of his wedding so he could relax a little bit before he took the plunge). We talked beer (I tried some of his homebrew, it was really good), history, life and most amazingly about married life and fatherhood. Later that evening we (my cousins & I) went out to a local watering hole called Jack and Dan’s to quench our thirst. Tyler (Smeddles as I affectionately call him) and Kate also came to join us.
Kate brought a friend (Micah) who I freaked out with some of my idiosyncrasies and mannerism but he was a good sport. Even after all of that he still wanted to talk to Kate (which of coarse caught both Tyler and my eyes) and speaking of eyes, his googly eyes towards Kate (sorry Kate, but if a seminarian [Tyler] can see it, if is pretty obvious) made for some fun later. As we are enjoying the many awkward moments Fr. Gary walks in, just for the record this priest is almost exactly what I would be like if I became a priest, and we have some great conversation and close the place down. Sunday we slept in because as the word says, it is a day of rest. We watched “Lucky # Sleven” (has some good twists, but is kind of lude) and just relaxed. I started on my last blog at that time as you can see and finally got it done.
Calling up Tyler, I went to check out the seminary, which was really cool, and Kate decided to come over so we all chatted for a time until I had to go with the cousins and Fr. Gary to all you can eat shrimp fest at Red Lobster (too much food, but soooo good!). I capped the whole trip off with evening Mass at St. Al’s and started the return home Monday morning.

This last weekend was a little less jam-packed but was still really great. I went down to a Bavarian pub in Fremont with generations of guys. We had Flami (founding member of the house of X), Me (second year), Colin (short Navy stint stay third order), Phil & Luke (fourth year), Colin’s buddy, John (Gonzaga alumnus), & Tim from Steubenville. A great bunch of guys with a refreshing mix of life experience under their respective belts. On Sunday, I was able to serve coffee and donuts after the Spanish Mass at my home parish, which totally opened my eyes to a different cultural experience of community and Catholicism. Afterwards I rolled up to Stanwood to meet up with Colin and ran into Val, it was good to see her and her youth group. Colin and I drove up to Bellingham and I got to stop at my Grandparents house (they live on Lake Samish) and caught up with them. Then up to the Xavier house and off to the first Mass on campus. It was cool to see everyone again, but I never felt so out of place and old. It wasn’t anybody’s fault or lack of attention, but rather the concrete realization that I don’t really belong there anymore. It was a real surreal feeling, but one that is nonetheless accurate of my state in life now as a graduate and a person in “the real world”. I hope and pray that their year of ministry is fruitful and offer the prayers I say tonight for all of the PM’s and the community of faithful up there.

Until next time, may God Bless all of you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home