Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Sunrise, Sunset, Sunrise, Sunset

Photos that correspond to this Blog Entry can be viewed here

So the Fiddler on the Roof had it right, but i don't think he meant this in the modern context i will be using it to describe the first 33 hours.

This might be a little boring, but it was really crazy for Chris and I...

We woke up Washington at 8:30 a.m. (PacificTime) went to Edmonds and picked up our Eurail Passes and caught a flight to Chicago at 1:30 p.m. Arrived in Chicago at appox. 5:20 p.m. (Pacific) 7:20p.m. local and barely caught our next flight to London. The sun set over New York or so and arose over the sleep on the 7 hour flight. Land at London Heathrow at 10 a.m. (Local Time) 2 a.m.Pacific. Hopped on the Underground Picadilly Line and got off at Hyde Park Corner. Checked out Buckingham Palace, St. James Park, Trafalgar Square, Westminster Abbey and St.Margarets Church. We then jumped back on the Picadilly line and switched to the Victoria line at Kings Crossing and headed up to Tottenham Hale. In haste we transferred to the Stansted National Rail line and took a 35 min train up and out of London to this little airport.

(a paragraph break for all of you pansies that always complain about my super paragraphs!)

Onto a RyanAir plane for 1 hour or so and i think i might have caught some sleep b/c i didn't even know the plane was going to land until we hit the ground and this Bugle sound came on over the intercom that sounded like a charge call. After that they spouted off how RyanAir has a 90% on time record, the best in Europe and people actually clapped in the seats! Got to the airport, tried to find a working ATM (for 30 min) there were only 2 in the whole dang airport! So we ended up having to exchange some currency (Pounds for Euros) and the lady ahead of us was like taking all the money and time in the world (if these eyes bloodshot eyes could kill!). We got up to the counter and there was a 1.35 Euro charge for transfers over 15 Euros. I had 10 pounds which was close. So i asked her if this would get the service charge and she said why don't we both (Chris and I) exchange at the same time. I was tired and so i just gave her the money and got charged, then she charged Chris and we were just so pissed. She even made fun of us "Why didn't you do it together?" If this doesn't make sense to you, don't worry, i am still a little hazy on the whole deal.

Out to the Bus stop to catch the 478 to Heuston Station (the one we needed to get to our Hostel) and we had missed the last bus by 20 min! F! This awesome Irish young dude came up and just started to help us. He gave us a map, told us to take the other bus to Conolly and was really cool. Then an Airport worker came up to us and helped us buy the ticket and hold the bus for us and gave us instructions to catch the 25 at Conolly for the Heuston Station. We got off at Conolly and had some Burger King and caught the 25. We here just chillin on it when we noticed we were on the freeway. Yeah, we missed Heuston, and got a late night tour of Dublin and its suburbs and even got to chat with the bus driver on his break. We got off on the right stop and i was getting some final instructions from him to the Brewery Hostel and Chris kept pushing me out of the way. He told the driver to open the door and he just started vomiting. Well Chris doesn't do well with large amounts of motion (and the bus driver was like the reincarnation of Dale Earnhardt) and so the king of burgers came up! We collected ourselves and went back up the hill and down Thomas Street to our Hostel. Into the hostel we go and they can't process our paperwork b/c it is after midnight, but they are super chill and just give us our stuff.

Bed is achieved at about 1:30 a.m. local time (Thursday), 5:30 p.m. Wednesday (Pacific Time...the time we woke up in!). That is 33 hrs of solid awake time.

I have only stayed awake longer one other time, at Western for 36 hours.


Post a Comment

<< Home